JAYHAWKS IN ACTION...
Men's Golf in Seventh at Nationals after First Round
At the conclusion of the first round of play at the NJCAA National Tournament at Goose Pond Colony in Scottsboro, AL, the Muskegon Jayhawks sit in seventh place out of 18 teams. There are 122 total golfers competing.
The individual scores for the Jayhawks currently are:
- Caleb Johnson (Muskegon, MI/West. Mich. Christian)– 71 (11th)
- Travis Clarke (Muskegon, MI/Reeths-Puffer)– 73 (30th)
- Bill Oosting (Muskegon, MI/Orchard View)– 75 (46)
- Dave Bonter (Spring Lake, MI/Spring Lake)– 77 (65)
- Marcus Fry (Muskegon, MI/Spring Lake)– 79 (88)
The team standings are:
1. South Mountain (AZ) CC Cougars 284 -4
2. Black Hawk (IL) College Braves 285 -3
3. Mississippi Gulf Coast Bulldog 291 +3
4. John A. Logan (IL) Volunteers 294 +6
4. Southeast (NE) CC Storm 294 +6
6. Walters (TN) State CC Senators 295 +7
7. Muskegon CC Jayhawks 296 +8
8. Allegany (MD) College Trojans 298 +10
8. Owens (OH) CC Express 298 +10
10.Carl Sandburg (IL) Chargers 302 +14
10.Surry (NC) CC Knights 302 +14
10. Tyler (TX) JC Apaches 302 +14
13. Kirkwood (IA) CC Eagles 304 +16
14. Clarendon (TX) Coll Bulldogs 306 +18
15. Murray State (OK) Coll Aggies 308 +20
16. Andrew (GA) Fighting Tigers 310 +22
17. Independence (KS) CC Pirates 321 +33
17. Lackawanna (PA) College Falcon 321 +33
Golfers Headed to National Championships
The MCC men’s golf team held on to second place in the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Region 12 Tournament on Tuesday to earn a berth in the NJCAA Division II National Championships being held May 21-24 at Good Pond Colony in Scottsboro, Ala.
Owens won the regional with 884, followed by MCC with 916, Grand Rapids CC 924, Columbus CC 925 and Jackson CC 926.
Caleb Johnson (Muskegon, MI/West Michigan Christian) led MCC with his third place score of 220 for three rounds. Marcus Fry (Muskegon, MI/Spring Lake) and Bill Oosting (Muskegon, MI/Orchard View) tied for 12th with 154, Travis Clarke (Muskegon, MI/Reeths-Puffer) tied for 26th with 157, Dave Bonter (Spring Lake, MI/Srping Lake) tied for 28th with 158 and Scott Belcourt (Edmonton, Alberta/Holy Trinity Catholic) tied for 52nd with 173.
“It was a great team effort,” said second year MCC head coach Marty McDermott. “We used everybody’s score at least once throughout the three rounds.”
Johnson, who finished fourth in the nation in 2012, anchored the MCC effort.
“He was consistent and right around par every day,” said McDermott. “When you have somebody who scores like that, it makes it easier for the guys on the back end. The four guys in the middle of our line up – Marcus, Bill, Travis and Dave – played solid golf and stayed out of trouble. That allowed us to hold off the other teams. After the two rounds in the first day, there were four schools within 10 strokes.”
MCC last qualified for the nationals in 2007, but the Jayhawks have set their sights high on a familiar course.
“Our goal is to have a top five finish,” said McDermott. “There are some very, very good golfers that will play. We saw them earlier in the year when we played the same course.”
Tuesday-Friday, May 21-24
7:00 a.m. - NJCAA Division II Golf Nationals-Good Pond Colony, Scottsboro, AL
END OF 2012-13 SPORTS SEASON
221 S. Quarterline Rd.,
Muskegon, MI 49442
Royal Blue and Gold
NJCAA Region XII
MCCAA Western Conference
Men's Cross Country
Women's Cross Country